Quick Links






*You must complete the Zoning Permit application with fee and submit it for approval before any construction, renovation or change of use of a structure within town limits.


To establish water service you should fill out an applicationavailable in Town Hall and pay a $120 deposit in full ahead of time.

Your water bill is due the 15th of every month.

You can pay your water bill in Town Hall Monday-Friday from 8-5. You may also mail your water bill in.

The town accepts bank drafts but no credit cards;  no debit cards; no payment over phone. Click here for the bank draft authorization form.

Water & Sewer Bill Adjustment Policy

​Trash Pick Up 

Businesses that need trash collection should contact Town Hall for the current rate schedule. This fee will be added to your monthly utility bill. Weekly trash pickup for businesses is every Thursday (except if Christmas Day falls on this day).

Winter Road Scraping 

West Jefferson maintenance surveys all town maintained roads and scrapes them as soon as possible beginning with the most traveled roads first.

Zoning and Permits

​The Zoning Regulations for the Town of West Jefferson are located here. If you have questions after reading the zoning regulations please contact Town Hall at 336-246-3551.

​A Zoning Permit must be issued for a change in use, in order to obtain a building permit from the County of Ashe, or for any construction performed. A zoning permit fee of $40.00 is required in addition to the completed application. Click here to download the Zoning Permit Application.

A Sign Permit must be obtained prior to the erection of any sign. Click here to download the Sign Permit Application. All sign regulations can be found in Article XI of the Town Zoning Ordinance. Please bring the completed sign permit to Town Hall along with any drawings of the proposed signage for final approval.

Minutes from Town Board Meetings

Click here for a list of the minutes from the town meetings


​As with any emergency, dial 911 for immediate assistance.